The Benefits of Trials and Tribulations
[ English - إنجليزي ]
موقع طريق الإسلام
2013 - 1434
Ibn Rajab concludes that if the person truly realizes and understands the above, "he will know that the bounty that comes from Allah to a believer due to his trials is greater than the bounty that comes from Allah during his times of ease."
Some say, "Are not the hardships and afflictions that people face simply a sign that either there is no God or that God is not really a merciful one?" If one were to give thought to the positive effects of trials and tribulations, one would not ask such a question. Ibn Rajab mentions the following benefits of trials and tribulations:
1. Trials and tribulations are a means by which Allah removes sins from a person.
2. Facing trials and tribulations in the proper manner, with patience, is a great source of reward and Allah's pleasure.
3. Trials and tribulations make a person recall the sins that he has committed. This should lead him to repentance and reform.
4. Trials and tribulations soften a person's heart and make her submit to Allah. A person who never faces hardship may become haughty, arrogant and cold-hearted.
5. It is through trials and tribulations that a person can experience the characteristic of patience.
6. Trials and tribulations makes a person realize that he cannot rely solely on himself or even others. He can rely on Allah. Allah is the only true source of help and assistance.
After mentioning some of the above points as well as others, Ibn Rajab concludes that if the person truly realizes and understands the above, "he will know that the bounty that comes from Allah to a believer due to his trials is greater than the bounty that comes from Allah during his times of ease."
"Commentary on the Forty Hadith of al-Nawawi" - Jamaal al-Din M. Zarabozo, pp. 793, 794